Down


It’s been a while.  I haven’t felt much like writing or reflecting lately.  In fact, at the moment I am feeling quite down; sad, dejected, and tired.  There is no logical reason for it, either, which makes it all the more frustrating.  I’m way too much in my head these days, and I know that’s not a good thing, but I can’t seem to break through.  Maybe the novelty of transitioning is wearing off?  I don’t really think that’s it because I’m still quite in awe of where I’m at at this point in my life, but I’m also terrified.  Every single day I live in fear, and it’s an incredibly ugly feeling.  I’m so afraid of being judged, ridiculed, shamed, or hurt by others that I’ve become reclusive and guarded.  I isolate and sequester in my work, books, and television.  And, while minimizing my interactions with others diminishes the possibilities of being hurt by them, it also removes any possibility of meaningful connection.  My life right now is bereft of humor and I have lost (hopefully not permanently) my ability to laugh at myself.  I am constantly on guard and it is exhausting.  The saddest part about all of this, though, and I do realize it with my rational brain, is that it is all self-imposed.  I have created a little prison for myself that I cannot seem to, or even want to, escape.  It’s cozy and safe here, but it’s also very sad and lonely.  I know I can’t live like this forever, but I’m feeling paralyzed to me beyond it.  Therapy helps.  Eric helps, despite my fervent resistance.  Maybe I’ll feel differently after my surgery in September, or after I’m finished with the punishing pains of electrolysis.  Maybe.  Those things will help, but I know what I really need to do is change my thoughts and inner dialogue, which is proving to be much more challenging that I would have thought.  I read, I write/blog, I engage in therapy, I’ve begun chanting, I meditate, but my inner voice persists: you are ugly; you are a freak.  Clearly, I haven’t entirely given up on myself, because I continue to push forward (though I’ve been retreating more and more lately), so I know I will get there eventually.  But the battle (mainly against myself) has been very tough lately.



Comments

  1. You are beautiful!!! There is nothing more beautiful than authenticity and strength, and you have both. 🤍

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are a lovely and strong and have a beautiful heart. Thank you for being YOU. Your blog is very inspirational to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maddie, I have no clue why I hadn’t seen your blog before now but I’m truly enjoying reading it. Your inner voice is much like mine and many others I’m sure. Each of us going through so many different things in life. Proving we as humans are more alike than we think. It doesn’t matter where we come from, what gender we are or our beliefs we all struggle and that inner voice is so hard to over come. I have always thought of you as kind, gentle, intelligent, funny, determined, and my friend. We are very different and share nothing really but our childhood Summers and our grandparents friendship but those Summers meant the world to me. Keep writing! You remind me of the butterflies we use to see at Stanley Park. Forever changing and so beautiful to watch!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment