Day at the Beach

With the approach of summer, earlier in the week Eric and I decided it might be fun to spend Saturday at the beach.  We have never really been "beach people," but we've been in Southern California for just over a year now, and now that the pandemic is settling down, thought we might "do as the Romans do," and check it out.  Of course, for me, this meant a lot of preparation: finding an appropriate bathing suit; figuring out the head/hair situation; etc., etc.  Cis-women have it bad enough, but factor in the whole tucking issue for us trans gals, and you really have to think ahead to enjoy a day at the beach.  Well, we did our due diligence throughout the week, and I was ready to go.  Excited, even!  I had not been to the beach in over 20 years, and never as Madeline.  I liked the suit we found, along with a simple sheer, white cover-up, floppy beach hat and bathing cap.  Accessorized with some cool sunglasses, a pair of espadrilles, and I was good to go.


For the most part we had a wonderful time.  There were a few curious glances, but nothing overt (I'd probably look too)... until we were headed back to the car to go home.  Apparently I caught the eye of one 20-something man, who took one look at me snickered and alerted his pal... boys, really, as a truly evolved man/human wouldn't act this way.  Well, that really popped my bubble and left me feeling deflated and dejected for most of the rest of the day.  I supposed I have those two kids to thank, though, for inspiring me to create this blog and get things out by writing about them.  From lemons to lemonade, I guess.  And to add yet another cliche to that analogy, I guess every grey cloud has its silver lining.

Comments

  1. So, reflecting back on that day and this post, while I couldn't pick those two assholes out of a line-up, their actions had a big impact: (a) they mad me angry enough to start this blog; (b) they made me think a little more than I want to about the gazes of others; and (c) they made me somewhat resistant to going back to the beach. While "a" is a good thing and I'm thankful for it, "b" and "c" are not. The "putting them into the box" technique that Juliana, my therapist, taught me has worked pretty well, I need to really let these to small-minded fellas and their little-boy actions go, and get myself back o the beach before the summer is over! Note to self: get the hell back to the beach!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment