Hair, Continued...

So... as I left it in the earlier “Hair” post, I had a trip planned to LA and a wig salon called Godiva’s Secret last Saturday with Eric.  What a lovely day we had and, I’m happy to report, that I found and purchased a beautiful new wig.  Still not sure it’s “the one,” as it’s synthetic and will likely not withstand the test of time, but it’s most definitely a great big leap in the right direction.  

My appointment was for 9:30 AM on Saturday, so we got an early start to the day.  It took us no time at all to drive up to LA, as there was minimal traffic, and the weather was absolutely beautiful, so it was a lovely drive (naturally, Eric was at the wheel).  When we arrived, we were the first appointment of the day, so we had the place to ourselves for a bit.  We were greeted by wig consultant, Tiffany, who was an absolute doll, and never once mis-gendered me.  Of course, I did my homework and compiled a list of wigs I wanted to try on, and was able to do so right there in the shop.  Tiffany was able to pinpoint what worked and what didn’t with each wig, and Eric was there not only for moral support, but also and more importantly for style guidance (he has impeccable taste).  Though I never, ever would have predicted this, the wig that looked the best and felt most right was a very light brown one with highlights… behold wig #5 below, "Abigail."  

 


I know it’s just hair, but I feel beautiful and more like myself when I put this one on, and that helps the inner glow come through.  I am more relaxed when I where this wig and more comfortable in my own skin.  I’m sure in time I will move on to something a little more refined (a human hair wig, for example) but for the foreseeable future, this one will do just fine.  She will be with me through a lot of upcoming "firsts," including Madeline's debut at work...

Comments

  1. So, this is the hair I'm currently still sporting, and for the most part it's worked out pretty well. The wig is called "Abigail," but for some reason unbeknownst to me, Eric refers to her as "Shirley," so that's wha we call her. Shirley has a beautiful style and color that look great on me, but at the end of the day, she's a relatively inexpensive synthetic piece that has proven hard to maintain, is uncomfortable to wear for 10 hours or more per day, and isn't holding up all that well. We've found some pretty good solutions to the management problem: gel, hair spray, and a variety of hair clips. All of those things help. But, she's still pretty uncomfortable and it's just a matter of time (I give it another three weeks) before she's going to need to be replaced. Possibly a much ore expensive human-hair wig cut in a similar style will work better, but for now the saga continues.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment