Fairy Lands

I needed to work from home today, so I had time for a morning walk down to the beach and back… it’s about 5 miles round trip or 10,000 steps, which is a full 2,000 more steps than the little app on my phone sets as my daily goal.  I have not done this walk (which I really enjoy and usually helps me clear my head, in addition to being good for my physical health) since the morning of July 9th, which I blogged about in my “Words are meaningless” post.  


It was a beautiful morning and it felt great to get back out there.  As an added treat from the universe, I came across this wonderful little fairy house and garden that some beautiful child had created in the humble roots and trunk of a tree next to the sidewalk:



I paused for a moment to take it in and then continued on my way.  But as I walked, I kept thinking about the little fairy house and garden, and the child who created it.  This, I imagined, is a child with a beautiful spirit and sense of wonder and imagination, to see a fairy house and garden in the humble trunk of a tree.  This is a child with a promising future.


I was once like that.  I had a fantastic imagination as a child and sense of wonder in the world around me; I saw fairy houses in the roots of trees.  Somewhere along the way, though, I lost some of that spirit, or learned to restrain it.  It never wen t away though, I’m happy to say.  I just found different ways to channel and express it, like through my work.  And now, as I attempt to recapture some of what was lost and allow myself to live more authentically as my true self, I’m getting some of that back, and it feels good.  Even in writing this blog, I feel like I have a platform to express myself and be creative… a virtual fairy house and garden, if you will.  A more literal example is my entry for our 2018 office pumpkin-carving contest, which, incidentally won first place.  Behold: 




Comments