Finding My Tribe



As a newbie to Southern California, and having moved here during a global pandemic, finding and connecting with other trans people has been challenging.
  The internet definitely helps, and I’ve found and made some great connections on Instagram.  For example, Cassandra Grace (@grace_in_transition), author of “Grace in Transition: The First Four Seasons,” a book I thoroughly enjoyed and learned a lot from.  Whether she knows it or not, she’s been a fabulous mentor for me as I transition myself.  I have often messaged her on Instagram with questions, and she always replies with insightful advice.

I’ve found a few blogs I like and read regularly, but especially enjoy Monika Kowalska’s “The Heroines of My Life” series.  Monika (@Monika Kowalska) interviews trans women about their lives and their experiences with transitioning and posts the interviews with pics on her blog.  I’ve been so moved by some of these interviews that I’ve searched for the subject on Instagram, sent them a message of thanks, and requested to follow.  In fact, this is where I learned about Cassandra Grace and her book.  Oftentimes they follow me back, and so I’m building my network.

 

Instagram, books, and blogs are a great start, but lately I’ve been craving more personal, interactive connections.  Fortunately for me, Eric (ever the web sleuth) found me a great online resource from the LA LGBT Center called Trans* Lounge, a “groundbreaking education and empowerment program dedicated to serving Los Angeles’ trans and gender expansive community.”  So, I became a member and attended my first Zoom meeting last night.  I found a similar group myself through The LGBTQ Center in Long Beach, but when I attended the weekly Zoom meeting, didn’t really feel like I fit in.  Most of the participants were much younger and were having very different experiences than I.  There was nothing wrong with this group, it just didn’t fit for me.  Fortunately, the one I attended last night was much more diverse and stimulating.  I felt like I fit right in and had a great time contributing to the conversation.

 

It felt really good to interact with others from “my tribe,” and I hope that in time I may actually connect with one or more of these folks off line, in person, and maybe even make a friend.  At any rate, it’s a start, and I’m looking forward to the next meeting.  Tomorrow night I’m planning to attend the first Zoom gathering of the Facebook Group I recently joined, “Transition Talk with Wendy and James.”  I’m looking forward to that, as well, and hope it’s as engaging as last night’s group was.  Either way, I’m sure I’ll blog about it soon, so stay tuned…

Comments