Beauty

Although I am a firm believer that a person’s true beauty comes from within (see my previous post, Inner Glow), it never hurts to look your best, as well.  For me, that now means a fairly extensive beauty regime, and lots and lots of products.  Until I began my transition, I never used to put any time at all into this, which on the one hand was nice—simple, easy morning routine that would take no more than 20 minutes, including getting dressed.  On the other hand, I didn’t love myself enough to devote any time or attention to self-care; I never really even looked in the mirror, because I hated what I saw, and that’s a horrible way to live.  Well, those days are over.  With Eric’s guidance (let’s face it, he’s not only y husband, but also my personal stylist, beauty consultant, and number one cheerleader) I now put a lot of time and effort (and money—products aren’t cheap!) into my grooming.  Behold, my products in the pic below:


While I’ve gotten pretty good at it, it still takes time… roughly 40 minutes in the bathroom, then another 10 or so to get dressed, and another 10 for hair.  So, we’re talking a good hour or so before I even really start my day.  I’m not complaining.  While I’m doing it, I actually kind of enjoy it, and usually I like the end result as well.  But I also enjoy those lazy weekends when we decide just to lay low at home and I can get away with just moisturizing and throwing on a a scarf or turban—I still look good, just not quite as feminine, I guess.  I do hope, someday, to get to a point when my face has feminized more and I no longer sport any repulsive facial hair, that I can simplify my routine a bit and eliminate some of the products, because I really don’t like the feel of a lot of makeup on my face (though maybe, in time, I’ll grow to like it or at?).  But for now, here’s my daily routine:

1.     Brush and floss teeth

2.     Apply lip plumper to lips; it rinses off in the shower

3.     Shower:

a.     Wash hair/head with Pantene Essential Oils moisture shampoo

b.     Wash/scrub body with Olay cleansing and renewing body wash or glycerin soap (alternate days)

c.     Wash face with facial cleanser by Purity

d.     Thoroughly rinse then dry

4.     Apply deodorant; cotton swab ears

5.     Shave (yuck!): face, neck, and decolletage

6.     Moisturize face:

a.     Revitalift Eye Yeux for under eyes

b.     Serum by the Inkey List all over

c.     Olay Complete moisturizer all over

7.     Face Makeup:

a.     Erno Laszlo tinted normalize (I’m told this was Marilyn Monroe’s favorite)

b.     Born This Way Concealer (Nude) under eyes

c.     Glow Bronzer in Tera by Tom Ford all over

d.     Shear Tone Blush (“Gingerly”) by Mac

8.     Eye Makeup:

a.     Apply Mac Prep + Prime to eyelids

b.     Eye Shadow… this part is tricky and Eric often helps me, but usually I go for something light-colored all over the lid and up to the brow, something a little brighter on the lid itself, something darker but in the same tone on the crease, and dots of lighter highlights in the corners.  Sometimes I do eye-liner, but not always.

c.     Eyebrow tint

d.     Mascara 

9.     Finish with a spritz of facial spray

10.  Moisturize body: right now, I’m using just a basic lotion by Crtaphil that contains aloe and Vitamin E.

11.  Perfume: usually Tom Ford’s Velvet Orchid and/or Fucking Fabulous

12.  Dress

13.  Wig

14.  Lipstick… this is also tricky as it’s so impactful and I don’t feel like I’ve found the right one yet.  Sometimes I also apply gloss.  I always do this last so my wig doesn’t stick to it when I put it on (very annoying).


Okay, so that’s my daily routine in 14 simple steps.  For evenings out, it’s pretty much the same thing, except I go a little darker and more dramatic with the eyes and lips.  Eventually, fingers crossed, I will be able to eliminate step #5, which actually takes a few minutes.  That will bring me down to 13 steps, which isn’t such a lucky number, so maybe I’ll also eliminate #2 after I get some more “work done.”  Eleven is my favorite number, so maybe I’ll knock out #9, as well.  It’s really not too bad now, though, and when I know I have a busy or early day I lay everything out the night before (like in the pic above), put everything away as I finish using it, and power through… Voila! 



August 7, 2021 Update:

One quick trip to The Container Store (they really do have everything!), and now I'm organized... Voila!



Comments